Monday, April 28, 2008

Another Note On Amy

My sister is one of the most generous, loving people I know. (She's also the most crabbiest, crankiest, stubborn people I know...but this is a nice post).

I've been a self-employed software development contractor for 10 years. I've made a nice coin. I've spent most all of it and more. My wife is a school-teacher, and that's a pretty decent job in Michigan.

In September 2006 I was released from my long-term contract as the company went through a significant down-sizing. Here in the Detroit area the economy has gone in the dumper pretty badly. I thought my skillset would make it easy to land a new contract. But I was off for 9 months, and burned through all my tax money and savings.

Amy doesn't make much, her raises are in the 25 cent or 50 cent range. If her friend didn't live with her, I'm not sure that Amy could make her house payment.

Several months during my downtime my sister Amy gave me a little envelope with $300. Having little money for herself, she sacrificed for someone who should have taken better care of himself.

No comments: